Wednesday, December 30, 2015

ORDINARY , EXTRAORDINARY PEOPLE: The Dutchs Beyond Tulips, Windmills, and Cheese

The  cheese is always associated with the Dutch
As a child  all I know  about Holland, it is a land of cheeses, with large gardens that only tulips grows,  and windmills to avoid flooding! Thanks to my elementary grade teachers, and of course the venerable old encyclopedia that  I inherited from my Laki  Merto, my great grandfather who brought it back to the Philippines from United States of  America. But as I grew up, I always hear that Dutch are straight forwardly rude, miser, and almost every Dutch that I meet, I ask them the most dreaded question, do you eat tulip bulbs?

The Grieps, in the southern highlands of Tanzania.
 Photo courtesy of Victoria Barrowcliff
But what is it that  that I cannot run away from the Dutch, is it because I wanted to be tall, to compensate my Filipino height, sorry for the mestizo Filipinos who will raising their eyebrows! Or simply, they have blue eyes?  But  contrary to what many perceived,  the Dutch are one of the most brutally honest people, open minded,  and of course the most caring and loving earthlings that sometimes people will find them cheesy but that makes them Dutch, lovable Dutch.If Pia Wurtzbach have Miss Bulgaria, I have the Dutchies ( not politically correct, but it is my term of endearment for the Dutchs). 

Sanne de Korte with Sahim in Pemba Island
My early days in Africa, was a rough one but  it was because of the encouragement of Sandra Bemelmans, that I stayed in Pemba. She give me courage to stay there longer and believe in myself that I can finish my placement in this small island, which eventually I overstayed and considers it a home! How can I forget her thoughtfulness, that I myself forget that it was my birthday one June morning when she just flew in from the mainland and surprised me in my house and told me " lets celebrate your  birthday breakfast", ah don't you thinks she is not thoughtful? The beautiful dada Lisenka  Beetstra who always  make sure that I have  the nicest place  to stay when I am in  Unguja whether is for  work or just simply stranded in the island. The iconic Andre Slomp, who cannot forget his big blue bag on the top of the bus in Wete!  We shared  our bloopers together as both of us non-native  English speakers, Hmmp. buddy  how we laughed out hearts together when you said, buddy  you are always smelling, when  you mean smiling! And literally, I shared room and even bed with Dutchies women!  Yeah, sans your dirty thoughts. Sanne de Korte, remember  when we  travelled to Dar Es Salaam in the early days and there  is only Room 512 in the legendary Econolodge that we ended up sleeping in the couch in the lounge area! Ah, the hottest room we ever had! One  of the most and enduring volunteer doctors in the Island of Pemba
Sjoerd van Setten in Misali Island
The truth will set you free  and know what you want, this is what I learned from Dr. Sjoerd van Setten. Let go of  things that is not meant for you. But  you teach me to enjoy life as it is similar to your flip flaps stuck in the muds or cooking the cassava leaves gifted to us in one of our field trips.As they say kaka, now matter what, the show must go on.

But my relationship with the Dutch does not end when they finish their tour  of duty as volunteers, it transcend  even beyond distance and time, Fredrik Knoeff and Liesbeth Kanis are alway providing me with encouragement no matter  where they are in world. Ah, thanks you  and I am more than happy we are having a lot of common friends now all over. Nobody  can replicate your thoughtfulness and kindness.


Post marathon in Arusha with  Liesbeth Kanis and Fredrik Knoeff


The Dutch are angels too! Irma Baltes, you are exceedingly extra beautiful inside and out, and from Tanzania, Ethiopia, Uganda and  more other countries , you always give inspiration for giving quality health care but you work with compassion  and passion  and that makes you a standout! You are always in  heart, thanks for caring and  for everything Zazu. You are always my  Zazu, who always cheers me up but manage also to remind me of what is bad...hahahaha! bad food, ehe! Thanks for reminding me always  slow down that you are the only angel who can will remove my plate when I am eating and say, slowly dear!
the Zazu of my life, Irma Baltes
They are family oriented too. Thanks to Wim  and Carla Grieps, the  Southern Highlands gives me the opportunity to be showered by your love and concern. Our work becomes lighter, and happier!  I always cherished those moments when  bus drivers will offload us in the middle of nowhere but our laughter will echoes! Your taught me patience, hmmp  losing your video camera holders, hearing my rants, yes, I rant. LOL!  Wim, I will not wonder if you will become a saint, you are always saint Wilhelmus for me. Carla, ah simply amazing and I cannot say more, the hugs and words of encouragement, and even the silence, your presence alone makes me stronger in the mids of adversities!


Annelies Wissink in Wete
All Hail to the Queen, Sjoerd van Setten and Annelies Wissink  in Dar es  Salaam
Annelies Wissink, you are rolled into one! I can always sleep like a rose,   I shared a house with her, and even clothes! You hear it right, clothes! It was one of the Kilimanjaro cold  trips that she provided me her warmers. and Pembans cannot marry her,  with her catch phrase, ask my kaka first! You have your gold bars and I  have my rice leftovers for breakfast, Deal is done. She is an epitome of empowered woman! Her smiles and caring nature is abysmal but strong enough. How can I forget, how you manage to be on my sides  not only one  but countless time just to be there  to make sure I am safe. You are always my dada. You fight for me in my battles too.

Now, I do not have any reasons to visit one day, the land of cheese, windmills, tulips and here is more than that,  you are not only wonderful people but destiny weave us together  for me to learn more. Looking forward to see you in one table, with good food, and laughter but as my dada Judith Kok said in out of our meetings, you are more than a Dutch, you are pretty straight forward. Now, to all of you, Dutchies,  i will not say dank je wel  buthartelijk bedankt!



No comments:

Post a Comment